In 1866, a group of influential persons proposed the establishment of a steady instrumental Band for the City of Port of Spain. This band, the "unofficial Police Band" was made up of a Bandmaster and ten (10) Instrumentalists. Each member was supported by "Voluntary" contributions of five (5) pounds which was deducted from members of the Police Force. The Band was stationed at Police Headquarters, St. Vincent Street in Port of Spain and its engagements consisted: Parade of Troops: Ceremonial Parades and Route Marches: Official State Functions: Dinners, Cocktail Parties and other social gatherings at Government House, and Police Officers' Mess: Social Functions organized by the residing Colonials; Private and Public Balls; and Public Concerts two or three times a week.
In 1872, the Colonial Secretary, at a meeting of the Legislative Council, regularized the Band and voted the sum of Three Hundred and Eighty-Four ($384,00) Dollars as extra pay for the Bandsmen. Thereafter, deductions from the salaries of policemen was discontinued. The strength of the band had increased to eighteen (18) men.
In 1956, the Band with its three (3) sections of Brass, Woodwinds, and Percussion, was moved to the Central Police Station on Wrightson Road, Port of Spain. This has been its home ever since. Its number had risen to thirty-five (35) men. 1966 marked the end of British control of the Band with the appointment of Superintendent ANTONIO PROSPECT, a naturalised Trinidadian, as the new Director of Music. During his tenure, he introduced electric amplification in the Band's Rhythm Section, and placed Women Police Drummers at the head of the Band on parades. Its strength had risen to forty-three (43) members. In 1983 Superintendent Prospect retired and Superintendent GEORGE SCOTT became the new Director of Music for the next eight (8) years.
In 1993, under Superintendent RODRICK URQUHART'S tenure (1991-1997), SUSAN QUAMIE, the first female instrumentalist in the Band was enlisted. She played the B Flat Clarinet. To date seven (7) women have joined the Band as full-time instrumentalists. In 1997, Superintendent URQUHART retired from the Police band and he was succeeded by Superintendent NELSON VILLAFANA. The strength of the Band had arisen to fifty-three (53) members.
Unfortunately, Superintendent VILLAFANA passed away in October 2002, and he was succeeded by Superintendent ENRIQUE MOORE in November, 2002.. Superintendent VILLAFANA's tenure brought to a close the British era with respect to all previous Directors of Music having received their musical training at the Royal Military School of Music, Kneller Hall, England. Superintendent MOORE, however, is a graduate of the Berklee College of Music, Boston, United States of America. The strength of the Police Band now stands at sixty-two (62) members.
From its inception, the band was considered the Public Relations Unit of the Police Service. One of its fundamental functions is to help shape public opinion about the service by providing it with a pleasing image and reputation. Since then, its duties have expanded as declared by its Mission Statement: